I will never forget the first time I saw this video on MTV. I was simply blown away. I had not really paid much attention to rap prior to this, but this made me sit up and take notice. As noted in the text, this crossover hit was really the first time that many white audiences (and folks like me) had heard much of anything by rap musicians and began to realize that they were really musicians as well as just "fancy talkers". Seeing them hold their own in this "battle of the bands" concept really helped to cement that understanding.
I think one of the first things that grabs your attention is that it is funny. The back and forth at the beginning really sets the stage for what is to come. Then Joe Perry's opening guitar licks are a great hook that embeds in your mind and won't let go. Then when Steven Tyler is ready to start singing and gets interrupted through the walls and they are off... Great song (and video)!
No comments:
Post a Comment