Nirvana has never been on my list of favorites. For that matter, grunge music in general has never really appealed to me. I realize that this song is important because of the developing trend it represents, but I still find it hard to generate much excitement about it. One of my major problems with it is the mumbling delivery of the vocal lines by Kurt Cobain. This is probably one of the reasons I prefer Weird Al Yankovic's parody to the original song: Smells Like Nirvana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY
In particular I appreciate Weird Al's opening lines:
What is this song all about?
Can't figure any lyrics out
How do the words to it go?
I wish you'd tell me, I don't know.
Now I'm mumbling, then I'm screaming
And I don't know what I'm singing
Crank the volume, ears are bleeding
I still don't know what I'm singing
I know this is a bit unusual that I am spending more time on the parody than the actual song itself. I guess it is because it so perfectly captures my feelings about the original. I know that this is considered a classic, but I for one have never cared for it. Time has not changed that opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment