This was definitely a new experience. I had heard of the Dead Kennedys but had never really listened to any of their songs. Heavy duty punk was more the music of my kids than me! With a title like that, I was not quite sure what to expect. However, after listening to it, it seems to me that it is really a call to realize and be grateful for what you've got because, by comparison, things could be a lot worse. You could be in Cambodia under Pol Pot.
(I must add that I wrote the above paragraph prior to reading the listening guide.) After reading the guide it confirmed my assessment that this was intended to be sarcastic and to challenge upscale suburban youth to consider if the things they complain about are worthy of comparing to the real suffering being experienced in other parts of the world. I believe the current term is "first world problems."
No comments:
Post a Comment