Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Bodysnatchers

As was the case with Nirvana's grunge rock, I have never really been a big fan of this type of "alt rock".  While the listening guide description gives some insight into what they are trying to say (the feeling of being oppressed and "owned" by big record companies), it is not anything that I would listen to more than once - and only then because it was required!  In that regard it is similar to a lot of mid-late 20th century "serious" orchestral music - not in the atonality which those present, but in the sense of overwhelming nihilism and despair.  Life is too short to waste it on such stuff!  As an undergrad in the '70s I went to those concerts because I was required to, but have never deliberately sought out 12 tone since.  In fact, I have studiously avoided it ever since!

I say these things not as some sort of snob who doesn't like rock - I still listen to Steppenwolf and Jimi Hendrix now and then.  I am just not impressed with this style of whiney navel gazing - particularly at such high decibel levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment