Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Psycho Killer

I must admit that I was not a big fan of the Talking Heads in their early days.  David Byrne always seemed a bit too "out there" for my taste.   This song is almost a perfect example of the reasons why: it is a musical portrayal of the madness exhibited by the Norman Bates character in the classic Hitchcock movie Psycho.  While I had seen the movie, the song was always a bit much for me.

In reading the description in the listening guide, it does help it make more sense.  I don't know that I have ever listened to it all the way through until now.  (It was one of those songs that, when it came on the radio, I changed the station.)  However, reading the outline on p. 432-433 helps at least to make it more understandable.  The song does succeed in portraying the madness of this obviously disturbed character in a powerful way.  In retrospect it is interesting that this one always bothered me, while Queen's Another One Bites the Dust, which deals with a similar subject, never disturbed me quite as much.  I suppose a mental health specialist would find something there to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment