Monday, February 17, 2014

Stairway to Heaven

When this song first came out, I was in the early stages of learning to play guitar.  This song became one of those that every aspiring guitarist wanted to learn so that we could impress the girls with our skills.  I could manage the acoustic section at the beginning but never developed my lead skills to the point where I could tackle the second half.  Of course, there are few people alive who can match Jimmy Page's guitar skills!

This classic is another alongside American Pie that people have debated the meaning of the lyrics for decades.  However, no one has ever challenged the consensus that, musically, it one of the greatest rock tunes of all time.  When I was a teenager, the AM stations would rarely play it (too long) so it was one of the songs that drove us to start listening to FM stations that would play it. It certainly displays both sides of the high level rock bands - mellower acoustic opening leading to killer rock closing.  We loved it all - could never get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment