Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hotel California

This is still one of the unsurpassed masterpieces of my generation!  It was truly a sensation when it first came out and its reputation has not diminished in the intervening years.  The creativity that is exhibited by making so much out of a single repeated chord progression is still amazing! I have often used the final guitar solo section as an example of how the same progression can yield a multitude of different solo lines.  No one line is ever repeated exactly.  While I know the solo back and forth was planned out in advance between the two lead guitarists, it always retained the feel of a "live" call and response guitar battle!

A quick related story:  When my youngest son first took up the guitar as a freshman in high school, it was after years of resisting all our efforts to get him to learn a band instrument.  After about 3 months of his taking a guitar class at school, I came home one day to hear the solos from the end of Hotel California playing in our basement.  I assumed that Andrew had the radio on listening.  I was wrong.  When I walked down in the basement he was playing them verbatim with the biggest grin on his face I have ever seen!  Needless to say, the guitar has been his instrument of choice ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment