Monday, February 10, 2014

Please please me

The timing of having several of the Beatles' songs on our list for this week could not be more exquisite.  It is the 50th anniversary of their first appearance on Ed Sullivan's show and the launching of full fledged Beatlemania into the U.S.  Please please me is a great example of their early style - a simple 2 minute pop song with a catchy hook, some nice little guitar riffs, and the inimitable writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Last night was the broadcast of the CBS special commemorating this event. It featured lots of film of the Beatles' performances from those years.  It all seems so tame compared to what we have become used to in recent years, but it was radical at the time.  Earlier this week I was in a Walgreens and was confronted with the full cover shot of the "mophead" Beatles and the headline "It was 50 years ago today".   I am sure that I am one of the few in this class who is old enough to have been alive when that happened and when I saw that headline, I suddenly felt really old!  Has it really been that long?  It seems like it was just "Yesterday"!

No comments:

Post a Comment