Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cool water

In listening to this it brings back a lot of memories for me.  No, I hadn't been born in 1947 when it was recorded, but the Sons of the Pioneers were favorites of my paternal grandparents - hardworking farmers in Michigan.  I was born 10 years after this recording and whenever we would visit my grandparents this is one of the groups whose music was often playing, along with Johnny Horton (I can still remember the words to "The Battle of New Orleans") and Roy Rogers & Dale Evans.

I also grew up in the time when TV westerns were quite popular.  I used to watch "Gunsmoke" every week along with Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, the High Chaparral, etc. so this is getting into very familiar territory for me.  As I listened to this, I could close my eyes and picture Roy Rogers singing a song like this as he rode across the high plains in the West looking for a cool oasis to water his horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment