Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Brazil

I am ashamed to admit it, but I have never heard the original of this song before.  I have only heard it in the various iterations listed in the guide: the duet between Donald Duck and the parrot, Terry Gilliam's use of it with the movie of the same name, the disco hit by the Ritchie family, etc.  It is indeed a revelation to hear the song in its original context without all the slapstick layers that have been added to it over the years.

It is good to hear a samba tastefully done by a group that obviously is familiar with the style and is able to provide variety through the free treatment in the opening section leading to the steady dance rhythm once the entire ensemble gets going.  It is also great to hear all the different variety of percussion instruments used here - many of which had not really been well known in American vernacular music prior to this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment